Pages

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Soupe du Jour

A note from Sylvie:

I find that I have strange combinations of leftover vegetables and fresh herbs in my fridge at times. I love the challenge of trying to use them, and even though it is a trial and error process, it can sometimes turn out to become a delicious and original new recipe. I decided to use Tahini sauce in this soup. I remembered my friend Moshit, from Janjou Patisserie, mentioned using it as a creamy thickener in one of her soup recipe. I was intrigued and decided to give it a try. I really loved the tanginess and texture it added. It also made this “leftover” soup taste unusual and somewhat exotic!


In my fridge:

1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil

1 Yellow Onion, minced

2 small Shallots, minced

2 Leeks (white parts), finely chopped

1 Red Pepper, cubed

1 Fennel Bulb, finely chopped

1 medium Yam, peeled and cubed

1 cup Watercress, chopped

1 cup Spinach, chopped

1 cup Parsley, finely chopped

1 ½ Tbsp Roasted Tahini Sauce


In my pantry:

1 Tbsp Low-sodium Tamari Sauce

1 15 oz can Garbanzo Beans

6 cups Organic Vegetable Broth


I also used:

2 Garlic cloves, crushed and minced

¼ tsp Turmeric

½ tsp Cayenne Pepper (If you like it spicy)

½ tsp Pepper Flakes

In a large pot sauté the onion for 5 minutes, or until tender. Add the leeks, shallots and garlic, and cook for another 10 minutes over medium-low heat. Add the yam, red pepper, fennel bulb, spices, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.

Pour the broth over the mixture and add the tamari sauce,garbanzo bean, spinach, and watercress. Simmer covered for 20-25 minutes. Turm off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Right before serving stir in the tahini sauce. Voilà!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for talking to us!